Alonzo and Tracy Mourning Senior High Biscayne Bay Campus
Course Title: Biology I Honors
Course Number: 2000320
Instructor: Mark Gottfried, Ph.D.
The purpose of this course is to provide exploratory experiences and laboratory and real-life applications in the biological sciences.
The content will include, but is not limited to, the following:
· the nature of science
· matter, energy, and chemical processes of life
· cells: biology, reproduction, and communication
· genetics: principles, molecular basis, diversity, and biotechnology
· levels of organization, classification, and taxonomy
· structure, function, and reproduction of plants, animals, and microorganisms
· behavior of organisms
· interdependence of organisms, humans, and the environment
· evolution, biological selection, adaptations, and changes through time
· agricultural, food, and medical technologies and careers
Texts and Materials:
Biology: Exploring Life, Florida ed., Prentice Hall-either as hard copy or disk
Student will need a notebook, folders, pens, pencils, a simple calculator and index cards.
There is a $10 fee science lab fee.
A perfect A=100, otherwise A=95; B=85; C=75, D=65; F=0, 25, 45, 55 depending on the degree of "F", Z=0
In general, assignments, homework, classwork, lab reports, quizzes and tests have weighted grades. Weights depends on how much I value the assignment.
More information, along with weekly agenda and homework assignments as the year progresses can be found at my homepage http://mdgottfried.net
For information on progress reports, report cards and the school calendar, visit