Alonzo and Tracy Mourning Senior High Biscayne Bay Campus
Course Title: Biology I Honors - Gifted
Course Number: 2000320
Instructor: Mark Gottfried, Ph.D.
The purpose of this course is to provide exploratory experiences and laboratory and real-life applications in the biological sciences.
The content will include, but is not limited to, the following:
· the nature of science
· matter, energy, and chemical processes of life
· cells: biology, reproduction, and communication
· genetics: principles, molecular basis, diversity, and biotechnology
· levels of organization, classification, and taxonomy
· structure, function, and reproduction of plants, animals, and microorganisms
· behavior of organisms
· interdependence of organisms, humans, and the environment
· evolution, biological selection, adaptations, and changes through time
· agricultural, food, and medical technologies and careers
Texts and Materials:
Biology: Exploring Life, Florida ed., Prentice Hall-either as hard copy or disk
Student will need a notebook, folders, pens, pencils, a simple calculator and index cards.
There is a $10 fee science lab fee.
A perfect A=100, otherwise A=95; B=85; C=75, D=65; F=0, 25, 45, 55 depending on the degree of "F", Z=0
In general, assignments, homework, classwork, lab reports, quizzes and tests have weighted grades. Weights depends on how much I value the assignment.
More information, along with weekly agenda and homework assignments as the year progresses can be found at my homepage http://mdgottfried.net
Where possible the content delivery will be modified and adjusted to account for the special education needs of gifted students.
For information on progress reports, report cards and the school calendar, visit